Car accidents in Philadelphia are an unavoidable thing and most people do not even see them coming. There are a few different facts that often cause this type of accident and knowing what the most common causes of car accidents are may be the just the thing to help prevent them. There are five common causes for the everyday car accident and knowing a bit about them may help you to avoid them in the future.
- Driver Inattention- this is the first most common cause of accidents while driving. This can be anything as simple as looking down to change the radio station, fiddling with switches, or looking in your back seat. Everyone is guilty of this once or twice but if you realize that this has become a real issue it is important to take the time while driving to focus on the road and on the other drivers around you.
- Electronics- the next most common cause of accidents is electronics. This can include cell phones, portable games, or even the radio. These electronics often have a bigger hold on us than we like to admit and this means that it can be incredibly dangerous to have them turned on while driving. Cell phones account for more than half of all traffic accidents in the United States and the number is only growing. Though many states have moved to make things like cell phone use and texting while driving illegal, people still do it.
- Inclement Weather- the next most common cause of accidents is weather. This can be something as difficult to traverse as snow and ice or as simple as glare from early morning sun. This is a very common cause of accidents and is often completely unavoidable. For those that have jobs that require them to commute, it is often impossible to avoid driving even in weather conditions that are unfavorable. It is always smart to take the time to drive slow and take extra caution.
- Speeding- speed is a huge factor in tons of traffic accidents each year and is right behind texting as one of the biggest overall causes. Most people do not intend to start out for work or for other places late, but being late may cause you to speed. Impatience is another factor that may make you speed. It is important to take the time to get to where you need to be safely and while obeying traffic rules.
- Alcohol- the last most common cause for accidents is of course alcohol. This is a factor that can be 100% avoided. Drinking and driving is one of the most common causes in the US for deaths in car accidents and taking the time to find a designated driver, a place to sleep it off, or not getting drunk at all is the best and only way to avoid getting yourself killed while drunk driving.
If you or someone you know has been in a car accident in New Jersey and needs help to determine what to do next, it is always helpful to talk to a personal injury lawyer in Philadelphia from our firm to understand how we will pursue the maximum possible compensation under Pennsylvania law. Taking the time to talk to an experienced personal injury lawyer in Philadelphia can make the difference between an accident that comes and goes and one that hangs around and haunts you for years to come.